- To elaborate a joint theoretical model on knowledge transfer and exchange within the BSR.
- To research and outline the role of the BSR as a research field for foreign researchers and to compare the external representations. To reflect on the BSR as a sphere of imperial interests with related implications of colonization and homogenization processes on knowledge production and transfer.
- To compile and comment the early accounts on the BSR by Western European scholars and analyse these works influence and longevity.
- To analyse the influence of traditional knowledge systems and regimes as well as the relationship between (Western) European and Ottoman scientific traditions.
- To investigate the entanglement of non-scientific and scientific knowledge in the BSR.
- To analyse the manifestation of knowledge within an increasing number of types of publications.
- To critically reflect the representation of women across the BSR region in a men-dominated scientific world.