- To outline the processes of the emergence of independent and semi-independent academic cultures within the BSR until WWI.
- To research on the backgrounds, discussions and motivation behind the foundation of chairs at BSR universities.
- To analyse the role of international conferences, congresses and fairs on knowledge transfer and exchange within the BSR and the (self-) representation of BSR countries towards/by Western Europe.
- To reflect on the role of knowledge within a Russian internal colonialism.
- To prominently voice women’s roles in the BSR’s scientific world.
- To compare the different processes of pre-war knowledge institutionalization along an analysis of the increasing number of founded universities, especially in the Balkan parts of the BSR.
- To research on the establishment of international journals and discuss their role in transporting ideas within the BSR.
- To analyse the development of photography as well as the emerging medium of film within the framework of representation in and of the BSR.